Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kenzi's Sculptures

One of my very best friend, Kenzi Shiokava, a renown sculptor, had the habit of giving me gifts. And if I needed money for any reason, he was there for me. I don't recall the genesis of our relationship, now some twenty plus years, but our friendship remains as strong as ever. Every August 28th, I call Kenzi to sing the happy birthday song to him. I catch him off guard. Kenzi was Marlon Brando's personal landscaper and gardener for many years. Most of Kenzi's signature works are sculptures made from telephone poles and railroad ties. Some of his scuptures can be viewed at kenzishiokava.com. A very spiritual person, Kenzi attends most jazz festivals where he can be seen dancing, eyes shut, body swaying back and forth, hands clinched and unclinched to the rhythm of the muscians.

No comments:

Post a Comment