Sunday, September 11, 2011

Little Tokyo

The following is a chapter from the book, What ever happened, written by Tim Reynolds, a good friend of mine:

When I had finished peeing and shaken off and tucked away and zipped up and was leaving the Ginbasha mensroom this Japanese tourist gentleman fiercely commanded Washu handzo! I told Dori, the bartender at Eigiku, a joke where you're an alien and seize and pump his hand cordially and interminably while you run on about how you're looking forward to a pleasant visit on this planet and how similar everything here is to where you come from except for the mode of sexual congress, your species has its sexual organs in its hand. He tore his hand away and plunged it in dishwater, he was kind of distraught all evening.

One of the invisible people in the hotel came onto the the back fire escape one evening with a full moon over the San Gabriels, and I said to him a word I'd learned from haiku, mansuki, full moon. He looked at me in stupefaction for a moment and then understood and said sternly MANtsuki. MANtsuki. As though if an animal were to talk it should at least talk right.

A couple of years ago a lady friend of Doctor Mongo's tried to kill me, it was loud and furniture and so on got busted up. Richard the manager said I had to go. I went into the kitchen where he and his wife and daughter were eating and apologized very formally in Japanese in front of them, it gave him face, nothing more was ever said.

No comments:

Post a Comment