Friday, July 8, 2011

The Genesis of Penitentiary Poem

When hearing my signature poem, Penitentiary, most people come to the conclusion that it was written during a time of my incarceration. But not is the case. Initially, the poem was titled, I Am Alcohol. A friend and member of an AA group and the editor of its monthly newsletter asked if I would submit a poem about alcohol. I did. And the poem was a hit with the readers; a few of them shared their comments on the editorial page. An inmate with a subscription to the newsletter ask if it was possible for me to write a poem with the twist on a Penitentiary or prison setting. I complied, and it was well received. On the written page, the poem did not measure up to academic standards, but presented vocally, its power was overwhelming. Or course, with my training in elocution and other literary techniques, Penitentiary was often requested when I attended poetry venues in the mid-sixties. Over the years, to this day, I found different ways to deliver the poem in order to keep its freshness and ensure its universality. Too, it has been recorded several times by different media artists. I have used props such as chairs being kicked over, tables being pounded and rocks broken with sledge hammers. The most memorable recitations, to my regret, was not captured on video or camera as I collared a heckler and took him to the floor as I screamed, I'm in command, and the other time, when in a circle of the round at Al's bar, eyeballed one of the listener and said, Push me Punk and be DOOMED!. The guy took it as a personal affront and said he wanted to punch me out. But I was ready for the confrontation.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you changed it to Penitentiary , mate..
    Sounds better than alcohol to my Aussie ears!
    DownUnderMongo

    ReplyDelete